Culebra Island a tiny Puertorrican Jewel
Here you will visit Flamenco beach, recognized several times as one of the top 5 beaches in the world. Here is some valuable information about Culebra Island for your next visit:
How to get there?
- Ferry – from the town of Fajardo. The cost is $5 per person round trip. The estimated travel time is one and a half hour and the ferry schedule is:
- Fajardo – Culebra: Daily – 9:00am | 3:00pm | 7:00pm. Cargo Ferry: 4:00am (monday thru Friday) | 9:30am (wednesday and friday) | 5:00pm (monday thru Friday)
- Culebra – Fajardo: Daily – 6:30am | 1:00pm | 5:00pm. Cargo Ferry: 7:00am (monday thru Friday) | 1:00am (wednesday and friday) | 6:00pm (monday thru Friday)
- Airplane – Leaving from San Juan, cost $150 round trip or from Ceiba, cost $100 round trip. Some of the airlines are www.viequesairlink.com y www.airflamenco.net.
On weekends and holidays the 9:00am ferry and the last ferry returning can be a real nightmare. I really suggest airplane or different schedule like 3:00pm Fajardo-Culebra and 1:00pm Culebra-Fajardo; this will work if you are staying more than one night in Culebra Island.
Where to stay in Culebra Island?
In Culebra you have a lot of options to stay from hotels to bed and breakfast or apartments. The nightly cost is from $70 up to $200. Some of these are:
- Mamasitas Guesthouse – 787-742-0090 |http://www.mamacitasguesthouse.com/
- Posada la Hamaca – 787-742-3516 | www.posada.com
- Hotel Kokomo – http://culebra-kokomo.com/
- Bahia Marina – 787-742-0535 | www.bahiamarina.net
- Palmetto Guesthouse – 787-742-0257 |www.palmettoculebra.com
- Club Seabourne – 787-742-3169 – www.clubseabourne.com
- Sea Breeze Hotel – 787931-7690 |www.seabreezeculebra.com
- Tamarindo Estates beach Apartments – 787-742-3343 |www.tamarindoestates.com
- La Romana Apartments – 787-543-4934 |www.laromanaculebra.com
- Villa Boheme – 787-742-3508 |http://www.villaboheme.com/
- Villa Fulladoza – 787-742-3576 |http://villafulladoza.wix.com/culebra
- Culebra Beach Villas – 787767-7575 |http://culebrabeachrental.com
Culebra Island is a small island but not walkable, so you will need transportation that can be a golf cart, a jeep or other. Some of the companies are:
- Culebra ATV Rental – 787-525-5456
- Carlos Jeep Rental – 787-742-3514 |www.carlosjeeprental.com
- Jerry’s Jeep Rental – 787-742-0526 |www.jerrysjeeprental.com
- Avis – 787-742-0726 | www.avis.com
What to do in Culebra Island?
The following suggestions are based on my experience:
- Flamenco Beach – it might be obvious but I need to write it.
- Turtle Beach, Culebrita – you need a water taxi to get here and it might be a little expensive (from $40), but the beach is breathtaking, a lot of people consider it more beautiful than Flamenco.
- Snorkeling in Tamarindo Beach – with some patience you will
always see sea turtles. You can do it by your own or with a tour company.
- Beach hop – Go around the Island and visit all the beaches.
- Watch the sunset from Punta Soldado – located at the end of the road on the same
direction to Bahia Marina hotel; once you hit the end of the street, you will see a road with rocks in it.
might me a little bit rough but you keep driving until the end and you will get to an amazing spot to watch the sunset.
- Nightlife – most of the bars are located in the main town, the place that close latest is located below the hotel Kokomo right on the ferry dock.
- There are a lot of others activities like kayaking, scuba diving and others; ask in your hotel for additional information.